sept. 24 + oct. 1, 15, 22
Calliope Sweater: Sept. 24 + Oct. 1, 15, 22
2 in stock
join the wait list
join the wait list
Stranding laceweight mohair with smooth yarns to add a soft halo to your knitting has become extremely popular over the last few years, and it’s easy to see why. The addition of light, fuzzy yarns makes garments warm but lightweight, and can give surprising results when blending contrasting colours. Also, the yoke shape of Calliope is interesting to knit – it combines both increases around the yoke as well as raglan shaping. This class is intended for knitters who have already made a top-down sweater.
Required skills for this class: You should be comfortable with the following skills to get the most out of this class: cast on and work in the round; knit; purl; standard increases and decreases
Homework: For the first class, please swatch so that you have the correct needles for your work, and take your measurements so that you know what size you will make.
Materials/Tools: This sweater is knit with one strand of fingering weight yarn, and one strand of laceweight mohair/silk blend. Yarn suggestions are linked below, and please consult the pattern (free here!) to determine how much of each yarn is needed for your size. You will also need :
- For neck ribbing: 16” circular needles: 4 mm (US 6) – or one size smaller than gauge needle.
- Main gauge needles - for rest of sweater (including body, cuffs, and hem): 16”, 24”, and 32” circular needles: 4.5 mm (US 7) – or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 4 stitch markers to indicate beginning of round, raglan increase points, and sleeve ribbing - it would be helpful if the first (BOR) marker looked different from the other three
- Stitch holders or waste yarn to place sleeve stitches on hold
- Tapestry needle to weave in ends
This four part class takes place Sept 24, Oct 1, Oct 15, and Oct 22 from 1 to 3 pm. Please note, there is no class on the 8th (Thanksgiving).
Cancelled classes may be refunded to store credit if we receive notification 14 days in advance of the first class. If the cancellation is within two weeks of the start date of the first class, a refund to store credit will be issued only if we are able to fill the spot.